Question: How can alternative sources of energy be used to increase the green appearance of big box stores in Canada.
Photovoltaic, wind turbines, big box stores, Canada, green appearance.
EDIT: southern Canada, Costco
any input would be appreciated
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hey graham you could possibly be more specific on location. Also you could choose a specific big box store you would like to analyze and apply green technologies to. What do you mean by green appearance? energy efficiency?
ReplyDeletethanks for the input Ellissa,
ReplyDeleteAs far as what I mean by "green appearance". I feel that with the current technology in PV (photovoltaic) panels it may be unrealistic to expect the panels to pay for them self in a reasonable time that would appeal to the companies investing in them. So by having companies increase there green appearance they can expect to see increased volumes of customers therefor indirectly increasing there profits which will ultimately decrease the time it takes to regain the loss from the initial panel purchase.
Another thing you might want to look at is how you might be able to incorporate the the technologies into building compenents such as using PV panels in a building envelope. Trying to incorporate the the technologies without altering design too much.
ReplyDeleteSo i see that you have a bit of stuff on solar here, in your proposal you also mentioned wind energy. I hope you still plan on incorperating that into your project. I have done a bit of reading on it and it looks like its pretty effective as long as you are in a region with enough wind. I have looked into the prices of wind turbines and they seem pretty expensive, i wonder if it would be worth it for a big company to instal a few of them.
ReplyDeleteIf you tie back into the grid all these technologies can be pay for themselves. I want to do this at home, it costs alot to start up but the power companies buy the energy you dont use back. Id love to cover my acreage in solar panels. The day they make the panels cheap is the day I start selling electricity back to them. I cant wait till solar paint hits the market. Ive seen 3 studies so far on soalr paint, and its not far off. But the day you can paint plywoood and collect the suns energy isnt far off.
ReplyDeleteYes tony I am leaning more towards encompassing all forms of alternative energy.
ReplyDelete@ Chris Bayne,
ReplyDeleteYes you can sell the energy back, but, I'm leaning more towards the commercial end and I'm not sure the companies will be wanting something that takes a long time to return there capital. So if they increase there green appearance then they increase potential customers which ultimately could increase sales.
Maybe instead of "green appearance" you could use "sustainability" or "footprint". I think you are giving the wrong impression with the current choice of words.
ReplyDelete